May 8, 2011

Spring Risotto

Whenever I have a friend over for dinner and tell them I'm making risotto, I always get the same look. For some reason people have this weird misconception that risotto is a dish reserved only for ordering at a great restaurant. Granted, like any other person I've had many a great risotto's and several that really did not impress.

Shortly after I moved to NYC I went to dinner with a big group of people and I happened to order a risotto. Unfortunately, the risotto was less than stellar and I stated that I was pretty sure I could make a much better version of this dish at home. A couple of my friends took me up on my brave statement and had them over for a lovely meal where I used the same ingredients as the restaurant version, but I made sure that my rice was cooked through, unlike the restaurant version. I have adapted that original mix of shrimp and scallops and made a nice spring twist with some seasonal vegetables and some fresh lemon juice to add another great flavor to the dish.

The great thing about risotto is that you can use pretty much any flavor combination you wish: seafood, poultry, vegetables, seasonings. So having a great base recipe as below, you can do endless variations of risotto to impress all your friends, particularly when you suit to their particular palate!

Risotto Mixture
1/2 large white onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium shallot, chopped
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup white wine
2 Cups Arborio rice
Around 5-7 cups Chicken Stock
2 tsp salt
Juice of 2 lemons
5 thyme sprigs (remove from stalk)
1 1/2 cup asparagus
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Seafood Mixture
1/2 lb. scallops
1/2 lb. shrimp
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

 In a medium bowl add the scallops and shrimp. Add the juice 1 full lemon as well as the Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside. You should also bring the chicken stock to a boil at this time as well.

In a bottom heavy pan, melt the butter. Add the chopped onions, garlic and shallots, cook for about 5 minutes, mixing to ensure the garlic doesn't burn. Once the mixture starts to release the natural juices add the rice and mix well. Add the wine and mix. When the wine has fully evaporated is when you want to start adding the chicken stock but only add 1 cup at a time. Add the lemon juice, salt and thyme as well. Every time the liquid has evaporated, add another cup. When the rice mixture starts getting creamy, around the 4th addition of stock, you want to add the asparagus and peas.

Heat a skillet, I love using a cast iron skillet when cooking shrimp and scallops since it gives them a great texture. Coat the pan with a little olive oil and add scallops and shrimp. Cook until done and set aside, this will only be a few minutes on each side. Any of the excess juices add to the risotto mixture, it just adds more flavor!

Keep on adding the liquid to the risotto mixture. The most important thing to keep in mind when doing risotto it to keep mixing it continuously, and slowly adding the liquid until the rice is creamy and fully cooked through. As soon as the rice has cooked through and the texture is rich and creamy add the grated parmesian cheese ( I prefer a good parmesian such as Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated). Mix well and add the cooked seafood. Serve immediately.



1 comment:

  1. I love Risotto and your version looks delicious!
    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete